We had a great time putting our costumes together this year! Husband and I, after many ideas and iterations, finally decided to do a period costume. We decided on the Regency era because we were able to find a good men’s pattern as well as a women’s pattern that were manageable in the span of a month. I used Butterick 3648 for Husband’s jacket and pants and Butterick 6630 (dress A) for my dress. Neither pattern was an “easy” one, but they both were reasonable in their difficulty. The directions were clear, and the sizing came out the way I expected (I lengthened the torso pieces and leg pieces for Husband since he’s tall and otherwise followed the patterns exactly.). Husband made his top hat out of cardboard and covered it with leftover fabric from his pants.
We have a tradition that this stuffed hamster (his name is Boo) gets in on the costume each year. Husband made him some little accessories, and we think he looked quite dapper!
All-in-all, I think our costume party was a hit! :)