PhD ornaments aren’t the only projects that have been keeping me busy this fall! We have a big list of “house projects” that we’ll be working through. First up on our list was painting a couple of rooms… Even before we closed on the house, I was planning how we’d change the downstairs half-bath.
Not only were the walls an eye-searing lime green, but the toilet paper roll mysteriously got broken off the wall between when we signed the contract and our inspection (::sigh::). Since there was going to be a big ol’ patch on the wall, and since the color was seriously overwhelming in such a small space, we wanted to paint it right off the bat.
Faithful readers (hee hee) may remember that I was brainstorming a while ago on the blog, and we decided to go with horizontal stripes, as inspired by this pin: http://pinterest.com/pin/278167714455505439/.
But first, some more “before” photos, because you need to understand the lime-y-ness of this room:
And another view
We painted the whole room (and the laundry room, which was a bright primary yellow with red-and-black flower stenciling!) a soft aqua (“Enamelware” by Martha Stewart/Glidden). After it was nice and dry (and already so much better than the lime!!), we began the laborious process of marking the stripes. We started at the ceiling and traced horizontal pencil lines 8″ apart all the way down the walls, then added the tape along the lines. It took hours. And hours. I got very familiar with the nooks and crannies of this little bathroom!
But as far as I’m concerned, it was TOTALLY worth the time. We painted the stripes a slightly darker shade of aqua “Artesian Well” by Martha Stewart/Glidden) for a tone-on-tone effect. With the brass fixtures, we think it has a little bit of a nautical feel, which I love. We dressed it up with a watercolor print and some scenery photos from our honeymoon.
I am so excited about the way it turned out!