When I get stressed out over my research and dissertation writing, I have to do something completely and utterly different for a while. Sewing is great for that, because it completely takes over all my thought processes and gives me a break from quasars 🙂
Needless to say, since I’m now in full dissertation writing mode, I get stressed out a lot. So in May I made two different skirts for the summer. Both are a simple A-line style: I tried my hand at drafting my own pattern using the instructions from the book Sew What! Skirts: 16 Simple Styles You Can Make with Fabulous Fabrics that I got from the library. I haven’t perfected my personal pattern yet, but I’m getting closer.
The first one was made out of a sheet I found at the Salvation Army!
It had a fabulous woven ribbon detail at the head of the sheet, so I sliced the whole edge off with my rotary cutter, ruffled it a bit and attached it at the hem. I had a white zipper lying around, and the skirt is lined with more of the sheet, so the total cost of this project was just $1.62.
On Friday night I decided to make another skirt. My mom has been giving me fabrics that she has had in her “stash” and I thought the embroidery on this piece was gorgeous.
I decided to try cutting this skirt on a bias because I thought it would hang a bit better. Again, I had another white zipper on hand, so the only cost for this skirt was the black bias tape that I used for the top and bottom edges. Total cost for this project: $1.02!
Not bad for just over two dollars. Now, I’d better get back to writing my dissertation! 😉