As I was making this quilt, I told my mom that it was an exercise in imperfection for me. I learned a lot, and most importantly, I have a finished project that I am proud of– imperfections and all!
I have had these fabrics set aside to make a scrap quilt for a long time (a couple of years?) and finally this year, I was determined to MAKE THE QUILT! Each month I set goals for myself. In March– cut the squares. In May– piece the quilt top. In June– finish the quilt! And I did!
I cut LOTS of 3″ squares and laid them out on our guest room bed in a pattern that was random (but still planned. You know me. I am type-A!). While watching lots of streaming Netflix and listening to mp3 audio books, I pieced all those squares into strips, and then following the excellent suggestion from my mom, I sewed the strips together with the squares in each row offset. This way, I didn’t have to match all those gazillions of seams.
As batting, I used an old fleece blanket that Husband and I both disliked, and I pieced the back with some extra squares (an idea I’ve seen all over blog-land and have loved) so that I could use regular 42″-width quilting cotton.
All of that was pretty straightforward; I’d done similar things before. The really new part of this project for me was attempting free-motion machine quilting for the first time.
It took a lot of trial-and-error, and a little practice, and then I just decided to dive right in and start quilting. It is by no means perfect, but it was kind of freeing to be able to make curlicue squiggly swirls all over the quilt. It was also a lot of work! (The top thread is a taupe/off-white, and the bottom thread is navy.)
I found the perfect stripy fabric for the binding, and I finished hand-stitching the binding to the back while in the car on a trip with Husband.
This quilt is perfect for TV-watching and picnics, and I am so proud of how it turned out!