Let me tell you a little story…
Once upon a time, I had a big pile of T-shirts, and so I decided to make a T-shirt quilt with them. I cut them, interfaced them (and learned in the process that I should have interfaced them first!), and pieced them together with black sashing. It turned out that the quilt was enormous. So I used a king-sized flat sheet (clearance from Bed Bath & Beyond) as the backing and made a quilt sandwich with batting. This was back in 2007.
The quilt languished, because I really didn’t want to tie it (I was afraid the ties would be distracting from the T-shirt designs), and machine quilting was prohibitively expensive for such a large quilt. We moved to NY. I made–and finished– another T-shirt quilt (a smaller one) for my brother.
Fast forward to November 2011… I was seriously nesting, and so I finally decided that I needed to get this quilt going again. I tied it (knot tails on the back, matching the embroidery floss ties to the color on the front) while I was 8 months pregnant (not an easy feat!). Turns out tying the quilt looked just fine after all. I even made binding and machine-stitched it to the front…
And the quilt languished again. Hand-stitching the binding to the back was not high on my priority list at that point! The quilt got used quite a few times in spite of its not-quite-finished state (it’s perfect for guests using our air mattress!), but I was ashamed that it wasn’t finished! We moved to MD. My mom started hand-stitching the binding while she was visiting in mid-December.
Once that getting-started hurdle was overcome (thanks, Mom!), I decided this quilt REALLY needed to get finished. Really, truly finished. So on our travels over the Christmas holidays, I stitched and stitched in the car. (Thanks, Husband, for driving!!)
Lo and behold– the quilt is finally finished!!
it took me long enough… 😉
P.S. Thank you, tall Husband, for standing on our bed and holding the quilt as high as you could so that I could get that photo!!