Since I’m challenging myself+my husband to make new recipes out of our new cookbooks throughout the year (at least one from each book per month), I decided to do mini-review posts of the recipes we make on the blog. I will not be posting the recipe (you can get it yourself in whichever book it comes from), but I’ll post a photo (if possible) of our dish made from the recipe as well as a few bullet-point notes. There’s a category on the blog for these posts called “recipe review 2013.”
~ ~ ~
Recipe: Vinegar Slaw with Cucumbers and Dill from The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook, page 54
- when did we make this? Tuesday, January 29 for supper
- did we change anything? I halved the recipe. I used dried dillweed rather than fresh, as the recipe called for, so I halved the half-measurement to compensate. I may also have added a bit too much water by accident!
- what did we like? Fresh and crunchy– a really nice, light accompaniment to our burgers (with the awesome onions from the first SK recipe we tried!). It’s a super-easy salad to put together!
- what didn’t we like? I thought the dill was a bit too strong for my taste. It could have been because I was using a dried version, rather than fresh.
- will we make it again (any changes in the future)? I’m not sure. We liked it okay, but I’m not sure Husband would choose it over other slaws we’ve made. Even in a 1/2 batch, it’s a lot for one person to eat by herself!