Since I’m challenging myself+my husband to make new recipes out of our new cookbooks throughout the year (at least one from each book per month), I decided to do mini-review posts of the recipes we make on the blog. I will not be posting the recipe (you can get it yourself in whichever book it comes from), but I’ll post a photo (if possible) of our dish made from the recipe as well as a few bullet-point notes. There’s a category on the blog for these posts called “recipe review 2013.”
~ ~ ~
Well, I guess it was too much to hope that I’d have success on the first try with all the recipes!
Recipe: Blueberry Cornmeal Butter Cake from The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook, pages 245-246
- when did we make this? Saturday, March 23, for dinner with guests!
- did we change anything? I used frozen wild blueberries (rather than fresh berries). This may have been my downfall (see below).
- what did we like? The idea of the cake sounds great…. The batter tasted yummy…
- what didn’t we like? Weeeeelllllll…. The cake was a total fail. Only the edges cooked! Quite an embarrassment, since I made it for guests! The middle was completely underdone (even though a toothpick came out clean, which must have been a fluke…). I really have no idea what happened. I didn’t think that substituting frozen berries for fresh would have that big of an impact. I used a glass 8×8 pan (rather than metal, which was pictured but not called for in the recipe). Maybe something is wrong with my oven??
- will we make it again (any changes in the future)? I’d like to try again, sometime. The concept is delicious. But not until I’ve figured out what happened, so as to prevent cake-fail again!