Since I’m challenging myself+my husband to make new recipes out of our new cookbooks throughout the year (at least one from each book per month), I decided to do mini-review posts of the recipes we make on the blog. I will not be posting the recipe (you can get it yourself in whichever book it comes from), but I’ll post a photo (if possible) of our dish made from the recipe as well as a few bullet-point notes. There’s a category on the blog for these posts called “recipe review 2013.”
~ ~ ~
Recipe: modified Shaved Asparagus Pizza from The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook, pages 108-110, with Rushed Pizza Dough recipe from page 104
Making this recipe was partly a result of having 1/2 lb. of asparagus still in the fridge after making the pasta on Monday! But, oh, I’m glad we did!!
- when did we make this? Tuesday, April 9, for dinner
- did we change anything? Yes. First, we didn’t have scallions/green onions on hand, and I’m not sure I wanted the stronger “raw” onion flavor. So I sauteed some red onion and put it on the pizza under the asparagus. Second, my veggie peeler did not remotely give me nice ribbons of asparagus like the recipe called for (it was rather a mess of tiny asparagus shavings). So I just sliced lengthwise the asparagus as thinly as I could using a chef’s knife.
- what did we like? Delicious flavor combination!
- what didn’t we like? Nothing!
- will we make it again (any changes in the future)? Yes. The crust was delicious and I’d like to try the Leisurely Pizza Dough version. I would be happy to eat this asparagus pizza any time asparagus is in season!