Last Saturday, my awesome Husband dug the garden.
Before, it was a pretty boring spot directly behind our garage:
After, it doesn’t look that much more exciting, haha! But I am certainly excited. Husband dug a plot that is 8′ by 15′. We left room on the right side for the basement window well and the dryer vent.
The plan is to have 6 tomato plants, 2 zucchini plants, and 2 cucumber plants. (I have a diagram that I’ll share later…)
Remaining action items before we plant:
- rake the soil to remove the big clumps
- decide whether we are going to mix some richer soil into the clay-like soil we seem to have.
- decide on what sort of supports to use for our tomatoes (we’ve not been happy with the wire tomato cages we’ve used in the past and are thinking of staking them differently)
- decide on what sort of trellis to use for our cucumbers (I prefer to have my cucumbers grow upward, rather than along the ground)
- decide on the least unattractive way to try to fence out the rabbits