Since I’m challenging myself+my husband to make new recipes out of our new cookbooks throughout the year (at least one from each book per month), I decided to do mini-review posts of the recipes we make on the blog. I will not be posting the recipe (you can get it yourself in whichever book it comes from), but I’ll post a photo (if possible) of our dish made from the recipe as well as a few bullet-point notes. There’s a category on the blog for these posts called “recipe review 2013.”
~ ~ ~
Recipe: Lemon Layer Cake from The Complete America’s Test Kitchen TV Show Cookbook 2001-2013, (pages 611-612)
- when did we make this? Saturday, April 27, for my birthday!! Husband made it entirely by himself while I was away scrapbooking with ladies from church 🙂 (I say this not because it is surprising– because Husband is a fabulous cook–but because it was such a nice gift from him!) We had seen the ATK episode in which they make this cake, and as soon as I saw it, I knew I wanted it for my birthday this year!
- did we change anything? All-purpose instead of cake flour (partly by mistake and partly because we couldn’t find cake flour quickly).
- what did we like? Every single crumb of this cake was devoured with absolute delight. I might even venture to say that this is my favorite birthday cake so far…
- what didn’t we like? Absolutely nothing!
- will we make it again (any changes in the future)? I hope so! It is not an everyday sort of cake, of course, but I can definitely see us making it again. Yum.