Since I’m challenging myself+my husband to make new recipes out of our new cookbooks throughout the year (at least one from each book per month), I decided to do mini-review posts of the recipes we make on the blog. I will not be posting the recipe (you can get it yourself in whichever book it comes from), but I’ll post a photo (if possible) of our dish made from the recipe as well as a few bullet-point notes. There’s a category on the blog for these posts called “recipe review 2013.”
~ ~ ~
Recipe: S’more Layer Cake from The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook, pages 262-265
- when did we make this? Thursday, June 20, with my sister-in-law
- did we change anything? No. (unless you count using light brown sugar instead of dark brown sugar)
- what did we like? It was definitely something different to try! The smell of the frosting as we torched it was exactly like toasted marshmallows. The cake was good. The flavors together were good, and each of the components was really good on its own, too. The cake itself tasted surprisingly like a spice cake.
- what didn’t we like? I think that there was a bit too much cinnamon for my taste, and it got in the way of some of the other flavors. If we made it again, I’d reduce the amount of cinnamon.
- will we make it again (any changes in the future)? I’m not sure. We definitely thought it was good, though as Husband put it, there are a lot of other cakes that he’d probably choose over this one if we are going to make a cake. It is not that it was bad, it was just that it wasn’t absolutely phenomenal, and we don’t make cakes that often!