At long last, I am delighted to announce that my 2012 Project 366 is officially FINISHED!!!
The albums are residing in their new home: the bookshelf in our living room.
In a previous post, I detailed the last items that I had left to do to finish up this project, and as of the 16th of July, they are all checked off. Let me share some images with you.
Since I had to split the project into two binders, I ended up having to make two cover pages and one-and-a-half end pages (December 31 was a Monday, so half of my last page protector was filled with two daily photos and two journaling cards already).
Here is the cover page of the first album.
I had already printed the photos and figured out the general design of this page, so to make the cards for this page, I picked out my favorite embellished cards from throughout the album and imitated their styles.
The “2012” numbers were handwritten by me, scanned, and then traced into my Silhouette software for die-cutting.
This card contains a little “letter” I’d written on the first of January. I copied it onto the white cardstock with the border-punched edge and slipped it into a pocket I stitched to the card.
For the “in-between” pages– the last page of the first album and the cover page of the second album–I decided to simplify and treat them as one-page layouts with photo enlargements. I’ve seen many people chop up big photos and slip them into the divided page protectors, so I jumped on the bandwagon. I tried hard to make sure that the seams weren’t anywhere inconvenient (like through someone’s face). I chose family photos that were taken close to the time of the album split, since our daughter changed so dramatically throughout the year!
The photo on the first album’s end page was taken in mid-June by our photographer friend, Jaime Alvarez, during a photo shoot she did with us.
Really, the photo and the specialty paper (by My Mind’s Eye) spoke for themselves, but I couldn’t help adding a bit of embellishment.
The photo on the title page of the second album was taken at my husband’s childhood home in the beginning of July. At the bottom, I used part of a beautiful lacy die cut paper (by Making Memories) that I’d been hoarding. These title and end pages were all about using some of my most-loved papers and techniques.
A tiny banner, because I think they’re cute…
Do you recognize that “2012?” Yep. It’s the same one that I used on the cover of the first album. And would you believe, I had to go back and re-trace the shape (thankfully I hadn’t deleted the scan), because I didn’t save the cut file to my Silhouette library the first time. You can bet that I saved it the second time around (and watch, I will probably never use it again, haha).
Last, but not least, I finished up the last page of the second album with some embellished cards. Again, I mimicked my favorite techniques and motifs from throughout the album, especially the ones found on the other cover pages.
On the spines of the binders, there’s a little slot to add a label. Because I’m me and I like to make every task a little bit harder, I decided to alter some free binder labels from Becky Higgins’ website. I downloaded the Clementine version and opened the jpg in PSE7. I liked the basic shape (the little brackety borders on a background) but wanted to use different patterns. Basically, I took the components of the freebie label apart and made a layered file into which I could insert new digital “papers”. I traced the brackets with the magic wand tool (not sure if it was the right tool for the job, but I got it to work) and made it into a new layer, and added a bit of a drop shadow to help it stand out. I sampled the background polkadot paper from the original Clementine labels file and added it as the background to my new label (with reduced opacity). I sampled a pattern from the Clementine Everyday Note Cards (also from the freebies section of Becky Higgins’ site) to use as the bracket paper. The fonts I used are Pharmacy (serif) and HoneyScript (script), which are the fonts I used throughout the album on the weekly title cards. I printed my labels on to matte photo paper, trimmed them out, and dropped them into my binder slots. I am super happy with how they turned out (and pretty proud of myself for figuring out all of that digi stuff!)
Now, come on over and have a look through these albums! They were a labor of love and I would certainly enjoy sharing them with you!
P.S. If you want to know any detailed supply information, let me know. There is such a lot that I decided not to try to type it out here right now, but if you’re curious, I can help you out.