Since I’m challenging myself+my husband to make new recipes out of our new cookbooks throughout the year (at least one from each book per month), I decided to do mini-review posts of the recipes we make on the blog. I will not be posting the recipe (you can get it yourself in whichever book it comes from), but I’ll post a photo (if possible) of our dish made from the recipe as well as a few bullet-point notes. There’s a category on the blog for these posts called “recipe review 2013.”
~ ~ ~
Recipe: Gooey Cinnamon Bars from The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook, pages 207-209
- when did we make this? I made it the night before for dinner guests on Saturday, July 13th
- did we change anything? No.
- what did we like? Oooh, they were rich and gooey and completely delicious. Our guests also enjoyed them tremendously!
- what didn’t we like? Nothing, really. One thing to note: this makes a very large quantity of a very rich dessert. The book calls for cutting them into 1″ squares, which seems to be excessively small. We cut the 9″x13″ area into 32 pieces (which were still quite small). My bars didn’t look quite like the ones pictured in the book, though that could be due to how zoomed in the image in the book was. It also might be because while my top layer puffed up considerably in the oven (as predicted by the recipe), it didn’t fall until the bars were out of the oven. They still tasted awesome, though!
- will we make it again (any changes in the future)? Yes, we will make these again. No, we won’t make any changes. We just might not have them as much as I’d like because of how rich they are!