Since I’m challenging myself+my husband to make new recipes out of our new cookbooks throughout the year (at least one from each book per month), I decided to do mini-review posts of the recipes we make on the blog. I will not be posting the recipe (you can get it yourself in whichever book it comes from), but I’ll post a photo (if possible) of our dish made from the recipe as well as a few bullet-point notes. There’s a category on the blog for these posts called “recipe review 2013.”
~ ~ ~
Recipe: Stovetop Macaroni and Cheese from The Complete America’s Test Kitchen TV Show Cookbook 2001-2013, (page 221)
- when did we make this? Tuesday, October 29, for supper
- did we change anything? I left out the hot sauce, since my little daughter was sharing it with me. I didn’t use the remaining 1/4 of the cheese or the 1 c. of evaporated milk. The sauce was very creamy and getting almost soupy, so I didn’t think it needed anything more. I also added a bit of sugar (see below). I also didn’t make the bread crumb topping (I was in a hurry!)
- what did we like? This is a pretty easy recipe, and it is a very rich, comforting sort of meal.
- what didn’t we like? The mustard flavor is quite strong. I had high hopes that my little (23 mo. old) girl would gobble this up, but I think the mustard flavor was what made her spit it out. I added some sugar to take off the edge, which even I thought was a bit much.
- will we make it again (any changes in the future)? This actually is not the first time I’ve made this recipe… the first time was before I started my recipe review posts, so I couldn’t remember what I’d thought of it. I think I’d make a different recipe next time, though. It is okay, but not my favorite.