Since I’m challenging myself+my husband to make new recipes out of our new cookbooks throughout the year (at least one from each book per month), I decided to do mini-review posts of the recipes we make on the blog. I will not be posting the recipe (you can get it yourself in whichever book it comes from), but I’ll post a photo (if possible) of our dish made from the recipe as well as a few bullet-point notes. There’s a category on the blog for these posts called “recipe review 2013.”
~ ~ ~
Recipe: Wild Rice Gratin with Kale, Caramelized Onions and Baby Swiss from The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook, pages 148-150
- when did we make this? Sunday, November 24, for supper. I had some kale to use up that was actually from an edible arrangement (it was the greenery around the fruit “flowers”!)
- did we change anything? We halved the recipe. I used a generic swiss rather than the fancier cheese the recipe called for.
- what did we like? This was a really nice side dish to have with our fish. I was really impressed with the flavor combination– I’d never really had cooked kale before, and I really enjoyed it.
- what didn’t we like? I had the impression that this would be a creamier dish. Perhaps it was the kind of swiss cheese that I used?
- will we make it again (any changes in the future)? Perhaps. Husband didn’t care for it as much as I liked it, and we don’t often have kale. So maybe not often. But I really liked it!