I’m continuing our challenge from 2013 to make at least one new recipe from our two newer cookbooks each month. There’s a category on the blog for these posts called “recipe review 2014.”
~ ~ ~
Recipe: Chicken Teriyaki from The Complete America’s Test Kitchen TV Show Cookbook 2001-2013, (pages 383-384)
- when did we make this? Thursday, January 9, for supper with white rice.
- did we change anything? Halved the recipe, but otherwise, no changes.
- what did we like? The flavors in this dish are absolutely amazing. They transported me back to the very first time I ever had teriyaki, which was in the Epcot World Showcase, in Japan. We were in Disney for a big extended-family vacation, but on this evening, it was just my immediate family: me, my brother, and my parents. It was just a little quick-service restaurant, so it probably wasn’t even the highest quality food ever, but oh man, did it taste good. It was a rainy evening, and it was so peaceful in Japan. We had a quiet, special time together as a family. This dish brought back such good memories!
- what didn’t we like? Well, the recipe is kind of a mess, because you pan-fry the heck out of skin-on chicken thighs. In the second half of the recipe, you can use a splatter-screen, but I didn’t have anything I could use for the first half.
- will we make it again (any changes in the future)? Without a doubt, yes! I LOVED the taste. I just wish I could control the spatter better!