I’m continuing our challenge from 2013 to make at least one new recipe from our two newer cookbooks each month. There’s a category on the blog for these posts called “recipe review 2014.”
~ ~ ~
Recipe: Leek Fritters with Garlic and Lemon from The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook, pages 128-130
- when did we make this? Wednesday, February 26, 2014, for supper, as a side dish
- did we change anything? Because I was using leftover leeks, I made a much smaller batch. I had two leeks, but they must have been extra small, because I only got two fritters from halving the recipe with that amount of leek. I also used 1/4 of a sweet onion, diced finely, instead of scallions. I also used garlic powder in the sour cream, rather than fresh garlic, because I knew it wouldn’t be cooked. Raw garlic tends to give us stomachaches (sadly).
- what did we like? The fritters were really tasty, but the real star of this dish, for both Husband and me, was the garlic-lemon sour cream!
- what didn’t we like? Nothing, really.
- will we make it again (any changes in the future)? Yes, we might make it again. Both Husband and I agreed that we probably wouldn’t buy leeks specifically for this recipe, but it is a wonderful way to use up extra ones from a different recipe. We will most certainly try to find reasons to make that sour cream, though… I may or may not have experimental evidence that it makes a fantastic dip for pretzels! 😉