I’m continuing our challenge from 2013 to make at least one new recipe from our two newer cookbooks each month. There’s a category on the blog for these posts called “recipe review 2014.”
~ ~ ~
Recipe: Beef Satay with Spicy Peanut Dipping Sauce from The Complete America’s Test Kitchen TV Show Cookbook 2001-2013, (page 377)
- when did we make this? Saturday, April 5, for supper (even though this really is meant more as an appetizer, we had it as a main dish.
- did we change anything? Yes. Husband made this dish, and he made some notes for me (he’s pretty awesome like that). It was kind of a last-minute decision, so we made a few more substitutions than normal. Neither of us likes cilantro, so we don’t keep it on hand and therefore left it out of the recipe. He substituted onion flakes for the scallions. In both the marinade and the peanut sauce, he used 1 tablespoon of Thai red curry paste instead of Sriracha.
- what did we like? Bold, tasty flavors in this dish! It is delicious and would be a fantastic appetizer for a dinner party.
- what didn’t we like? The peanut sauce recipe makes a HUGE amount! We didn’t have quite the entire weight of meat called for in the recipe, but we still had an absolute excess of sauce. Next time I might halve it.
- will we make it again (any changes in the future)? I think yes, probably. But more as an appetizer than a main dish!