As my “mother’s day gift,” I was able to spend a whole Saturday at a church crafting day (the same type of event where I made a ton of progress in March!) And this time, I brought out the “big guns”– haha! After using double-sided-tape (acid free, and all that, of course) for years, I finally made the switch to a Scotch Advanced Tape Glider. This switch was precipitated by the fact that I ran completely out of “dry” adhesive and needed to get some as soon as possible so I could work on this album. [warning: the first three photos in this post are super-crummy iPhone 3 photos! haha ;-)]
By the end of the day, I’d decided that I really like my new tool!
I was on a mission again this time. I finished cutting the paper layers so that I had a total of 26 layout bases prepared (I will have more layouts than this, but this was a mighty good start, I thought). I spread them all out on one of the big tables in the room we were using so that I could see all the paper combinations.
I got out my stack of “main” photos and began matching them with the paper layer combinations. You should be proud of me– at this point, I did NOT consider whether the final layout would be the same sketch side-by-side, or if the papers were too similar side-by-side.
After all the photos were matched with a set of paper layers, I rearranged them so that they were in chronological order (the order they will appear in the album) and lo and behold! I don’t think I had to switch any of the photos! It had worked out that the layouts were mixed, and the papers were also mixed up enough for my taste.
I spent the rest of the day adhering the paper layers + doily + photo in a cluster for each page. At this point, I didn’t adhere the cluster to the white cardstock base because I didn’t have a journaling pen and wanted to think a bit more about how the journaling would fit on the pages.
I used 2.5% of my doilies! Woooooo hooooo!! 😉
In the following week, I went to the craft store and got myself a pen and challenged myself each day to write the journaling for at least 5 layouts. Remember, the journaling was pretty much pre-written in my planner from that time (I wrote a few sentences each day). It was just a matter of transcribing it (and making the point-of-view/person (what is the grammatical name for that??) was consistent–I’m using 2nd person, addressing my daughter). There were a few days that didn’t have a set of paper layers yet (mostly because it was a combination of more than one photo that didn’t quite fit my pre-made sketches), so I also put them together.
So this is where I am at the time of writing of this post: I have the journaling written and paper/photos adhered onto all of the “main photo” layouts from December 2 through December 31. I slipped them into page protectors and have them in a (temporary) 3-ring binder to keep them organized. I added the baseball card page protectors between each spread and inserted the 2.5″x3.5″ photos from each day into the appropriate slots to start getting them organized.
So what still needs to be done?
- There are multiple big (“main”/4″x6”) photos for the first few days: November 29 through December 2. These photos need to have layouts made for them. (I am kind of intimidated by these, because they are, in some ways, the “most important” to me– the first photos of my little girl and us as a family of three).
- The empty slots of the baseball card protector pages need to be filled. I plan to use the scraps of the patterned papers that are left, plus some of the doilies and embellishments. There are also some “extra” pieces of journaling to include with those smaller photos.
- I’d like to add a few embellishments to the main pages, plus numbers to show the date for each day.
- I have some ephemera that I’d like to keep in this album, so I need to figure out how to best include it.