When I was putting together a nursery color scheme for my daughter, I couldn’t find a “commercially available” Boppy cover that I liked that also coordinated. So I asked for a “naked” Boppy on my registry and made a cover on my own. I found a pattern HERE, and then followed construction from HERE, because I liked the idea of the zipper being along the “spine” rather than across one of the sides of the pillow.
It worked out great. The cover worked wonderfully, and I decided to make a new cover to coordinate with our son’s nursery.
So this was one of those projects that should have been easy, a “less-than-one-naptime” project. It turned into at least 2 naptimes! Even though I’d made it before (for my daughter’s nursery), somehow I managed to botch the zipper at least four times. I got very tired of using my seam ripper! I finally figured out the problem: I’d serged the edges of the pattern pieces, but the overlocking was wider than the last one, so I had to increase the seam allowance on the basted portion to allow for reasonable zipper insertion. (Yes, that probably didn’t mean much straight off the bat to most people reading this. I just include it so that I remember that detail for later.)
The slipcover isn’t as perfect as I’d hoped, but it’s done, and it cost me about $5.89 (1.25 yd fabric + zipper. I had thread on hand). I’ll take that!
Note: I also know from experience that when it’s newly made, this slipcover looks disappointingly baggy. But with use (and oh yes, the last one got used all the time!), the fabric conforms better to the pillow’s shape and in time looks nice and smooth.