I’m continuing our challenge from 2013 to make at least one new recipe from our two newer cookbooks each month. There’s a category on the blog for these posts called “recipe review 2014.”
~ ~ ~
Recipe: Gnocchi in Tomato Broth from The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook (pages 116-119)
- when did we make this? Husband made a double batch on Sunday, September 14 to share with friends on the 15th.
- did we change anything? Husband modified the potatoes quite a bit because of how labor-intensive the process became. Also, he made the executive decision to leave the chopped vegetables in the broth, rather than strain them out. In one batch, he pureed the broth and veggies into a thicker soup, and in the other, he left the vegetables as-is.
- what did we like? Great flavors, delicious gnocchi! It is a lovely comfort-food kind of dish, and heartier than I expected.
- what didn’t we like? The potato preparation for the gnocchi could be simplified.
- will we make it again (any changes in the future)? I think we will make this again. Husband has ideas about how to simplify the potato process, and I think we’ve decided that the broth (veggies strained out) is the way to go (as per the recipe ;-)).