I’m continuing our challenge from 2013 to make at least one new recipe from our two newer cookbooks each month. There’s a category on the blog for these posts called “recipe review 2014.”
~ ~ ~
Recipe: Basic Chili from The Complete America’s Test Kitchen TV Show Cookbook 2001-2013, (pages 365-366)
- when did we make this? Sunday, November 2, 2014, to be eaten on November 3 and 4.
- did we change anything? Yes, kind of a lot. I halved the recipe, plus I wanted to use ingredients I had on hand, because I didn’t really have time to go to the store. We swapped great northern beans for the kidney beans (yes, this is a significant modification! but not only did I not have kidney beans, but I really dislike them), and used 80% lean beef. I also used crushed tomatoes rather than tomato puree.
- what did we like? It was a flavorful, basic chili!
- what didn’t we like? Well, I am just not a chili fan, so it wasn’t my favorite. However, I can acknowledge that it was a very flavorful chili. I think Husband liked it!
- will we make it again (any changes in the future)? If Husband wants it, we will make it again, but as I said before, I probably wouldn’t choose a chili on my own…