See all the posts about V’s quilt HERE.
As I began working on the quilt, I realized that it would be fun to keep track of the time I spent on the project.
But before I talk about the first step, cutting the fabric, I want to discuss the design of the quilt.
When I decided to make the lattice design, I spent a bit of time peering closely at the (beautiful) photos on Ashley’s blog and reading about her construction. Rather than taking a square lattice and turning it on point (which was my initial thought), the lattice is made up of squares bisected with a diagonal stripe:
This is ingenious, because then there are no fiddly little squares to fit into the corners of the lattice. The four pieces of lattice fit tidily together at their points.
Husband agreed to help me out at this point: I figured out how large of a lattice I wanted (and therefore the size of the squares), and the finished dimensions of the quilt, and he calculated the yardage I needed to purchase (especially for the white background). Thank you, Husband!
After purchasing the fabric and prewashing everything, I started the first task: cutting all the pieces.
I cut the white cotton into 7.75″ squares, which I then sliced on the diagonal to form triangles.
For my dimensions, I calculated that I would need 168 blocks. Therefore, I decided to cut six 2″-wide by 13″-long strips from each of the 25 purchased fabrics. Added to these 150 strips were 13 that I cut from scraps of fabric that I used in V’s nursery projects. That left 5 “blanks.” Rather than choose the extra five blocks’ fabrics, I decided to wait until the entire quilt top was laid out and then choose their colors to balance the design.
Total time to press the prewashed fabric and cut triangles and strips: 8.75 hours