This whole project started with a joke, but once the idea had entered my head, I just had to do it!
I made six superhero capes: two for my children, three more for the children of people in a game group of ours, and one as a birthday gift (I was already making 5, what was one more? Haha!)
Pinterest is full of links to kids’ superhero cape tutorials, so I combined the best features of the ones I looked at to draft my pattern.
The capes are made from polyester crepe: I thought about using cotton, but this felt more cape-y! It is shifty and doesn’t hold a press, which made it difficult to work with at times, but it was worth it for the flowy movement, I think.
On one side of each cape, I appliquéd a star and the child’s first initial. I used iron-on interfacing on the fabric plus tear-away stabilizer as I satin-stitched the edges.
I made my daughter’s cape from the first incarnation of my pattern. It is a bit long right now, but she’ll grow into it!
The shape was good, so I shortened the length and made the rest with my new pattern. Here, V is modeling her brother’s cape.
A much better length for a preschooler… though my just-about-one-year-old will still needs to grow into it! 😉