So, I wasn’t 100% pleased with my first top for round one of the SOSM Community Match. So, being me, I made another. I didn’t have time to tweak my previous top‘s pattern within the time limits for the first round, so I decided to make a different top altogether.
It’s a simpler top, in terms of construction, but I am very pleased with how it turned out!
click on photos to see them larger
My black jersey tie top is inspired by THIS one, which I’d pinned a few years ago.
I challenged myself to make it entirely with my serger. The only time I used my sewing machine was to baste new side seams to produce a more flattering fit. Once I’d determined the proper shape, I serged those puppies up!
I started out with two 30″ wide by 28″ long rectangles of jersey (the same 95% rayon, 5% spandex as the green top). I finished the top 9″ or so on each side by using a cover stitch. I folded down the top edge by 2″ to form a channel, again using a cover stitch, for the tie. At first, I sewed the side seams straight, and after trying it on and seeing that it looked terrible, I went through a couple iterations of curving the side seams inward with a basting stitch until I liked the look. Like I mentioned before, I then serged the side seams at the final seam line. The hem is a 1/2″ cover stitch (I LOVE that function on my serger! Cover stitched everything! :))
To make the tie, I cut a 3″-wide strip of the whole 60″ width of the fabric. I folded it in half, serged the long edge (leaving a small gap for turning) and added angled ends. Turn, press, hand-stitch the gap, and done!
it is unfortunate that the shorts that I’m wearing have back pockets with flaps that make odd bulges near the bottom… the shirt truly does hang nicely!
I think it would be fun to have a contrasting color for the tie, maybe one made of silky fabric (like the inspiration top’s), or even a chiffon.