(Yes, I know that I have not yet posted about round three– my bag is still in pieces scattered around my craft room. Things got a little hairy during the round three timeframe– we were traveling, I decided to invent my own pattern, I didn’t buy enough fabric and I needed some different foam than I’d originally purchased….. BUT, I will write more about that in upcoming posts)
The fourth round of the Sew Mama Sew Super Online Sewing Match is pajamas! I knew that I would not realistically wear the kind of pajamas the actual contestants are sewing, so I set out to find a pattern for something I would wear! I came across Gertie’s pattern for a camisole/slip/panties (Butterick 6031) and it is very similar to some pajamas I recently purchased! Perfect! And just a note: the bottoms fit more like shorts than panties, even though that is what they are called in the pattern description.
I spent about three hours on Saturday (all by myself! Thank you, Husband) rushing between JoAnn and Hobby Lobby to try and locate the supplies that I needed to sew this pattern. I didn’t have any idea how hard it would be to find stretch lace– especially in the widths called for in the pattern. I ended up finding 2″ wide lace at Hobby Lobby, in addition to 5/8″ fold-over elastic (which I ended up using flat) in place of the 1.5″ and 1/2″ laces in the pattern directions. The only lingerie sliders I could find were 3/8″ wide (and since I couldn’t decide the first day I was shopping whether I should purchase them, I went back a second time to get them). I also purchased some “performance knit” in a berry-colored tie-die wash pattern– the last yard on the bolt.
But I was really paranoid about cutting into that fabric, since I had no idea how the pattern would fit. I dug around in my scrap bin and found some plum knit (95% rayon, 5% spandex) that I’d used for a dress several years ago. With some clever fiddling (and a seam up the front of the bottoms), I was able to eke out the entire pattern (view A for the top) from those scraps! Wooo hoooo! So my entry for round four is this plum-colored version. I hope to make another set from the berry fabric soon (and then more versions after that!! I really do love the way this fits).
This was my first time dealing with stretch lace…really, lace at all. It was not as bad as I had thought! I had a bit of trouble matching the side seams on the top edge of the camisole– probably because my lace was 1/2″ wider than the recommended width. I hope that in future versions I can do a bit better– perhaps with my lace (of which I have more!), I can place it further down to compensate. There were some fiddly bits in the construction (I’m used to zipping along with my serger when sewing with knits, rather than using my regular machine), and I did end up finishing the side seams of the camisole and the bottoms with my serger. I wish that I had been able to find a wider set of lingerie sliders, but the 3/8″ ones worked okay with the 5/8″ elastic for the straps.
I am immensely grateful for Gertie’s sew along on her blog. It was wonderful to have the step by step photos to reference when the pattern instructions were especially sparse or obtuse.
The fit is PERFECT with no adjustments to the pattern. I am so pleased! Even better, the set is super comfortable to wear. It makes me really excited to make more!