I’m continuing our challenge from 2013 and 2014 to make at least one new recipe from some of our newer cookbooks each month. There’s a category on the blog for these posts called “recipe review 2015.”
~ ~ ~
Recipe: Eggplant Parmesan, made with zucchini from The Complete America’s Test Kitchen TV Show Cookbook 2001-2013, (page 295-296)
A friend of mine told me that she’d made this substitution recently, as we discussed the prodigious output of my zucchini plant. As soon as she mentioned it, I knew I just had to try it! I was not disappointed!
- when did we make this? Saturday, August 8, for supper.
- did we change anything? Well, the most obvious thing is that I substituted zucchini for the eggplant. It was amazing! So much better than eggplant. I also added a little bit of sugar to the sauce, because I thought without it, the tomatoes were too bitter.
- what did we like? Oh my, this dish is delicious! I loved the slight spice of the sauce paired with the cheese and the amazing oven-fried zucchini slices. I think the zucchini makes it more delicate than with eggplant, and I love that I have another way to enjoy the bounty from my garden.
- what didn’t we like? Wow, this is a time-intensive and work-intensive recipe. This is certainly not a weeknight meal!
- will we make it again (any changes in the future)? Even though it was a LOT of work, I think we’ll be making this in the future, but for special occasions!