Our family costume this year was inspired by the fact that we are going to Disney World in January. V LOVES the princesses, and I have this grand plan to live vicariously through V and dress her in a different princess dress each day that we are there (we already knew I was crazy, so let’s just leave it at that!). As I discussed with Husband how much work this would be, we developed the plan to overlap Halloween with the first princess dress. I am glad that I started so early, because this dress took almost all of my free time in September, plus more time in October to finish the details. It turns out that there are a LOT of details on Sofia’s dress!
I began with Butterick 6113. Let me tell you, it is a terrible pattern. I immediately started modifying it. In the end, I had essentially re-engineered the entire dress, with help from Husband. I replaced the bodice entirely with the bodice from Simplicity 1507, and the petal-shaped overskirt and peplum were shaped by Husband (I got so frustrated, I had to call for reinforcements! He’s pretty awesome, even though he won’t touch the sewing machine himself).
The outer dress is made from violet polyester glitter satin (JoAnn’s Casa Collection), and I used white cotton (upcycled from a bed sheet) for the lining and underskirt. There are yards of white pom-pom trim stitched onto the skirt edges, and I sewed a darker violet grosgrain ribbon parallel to the hem of the underskirt. Husband painstakingly traced the shapes for Sofia’s distinctive petals-in-circle emblem, cutting them out of white cotton and fusing them with double-sided fuseable webbing onto each petal of the overskirt.
I used a satin-stitch to “embroider” the loop design on the bodice:
Of course, Sofia needs her Amulet of Avalor. Husband took a lot of time to choose just the right cubic zirconia pendant and amethyst beads at the craft store, and he added pearl beads that we had at home to string the necklace.
At the very last minute (literally an hour before we went to the pumpkin patch, while V was napping), I whipped up a crinoline to go under her princess skirt to give it more fullness…but I might write more about that in a later post.