I wasn’t so confident at first about this week’s challenge on Shimelle’s blog: monochromatic layout. Usually when I see a challenge, it doesn’t take me too long to have an idea of how to start. But for this challenge, I was stumped!
I started by opening up my “stories to scrapbook” album to see what photos/stories were there, and if any would lend themselves to monochromatic styling.
In a few spare moments yesterday morning, I took out two stories/sets of photos, both from 5 years ago when my sister-in-law visited us for a few days. Both stories had photos ready, a basic sketch planned out, and journaling already written! I considered colors: one story was looking pink, and one was looking aqua. I started pulling out papers in the respective colors, and then I had to move on with other things. I kept thinking about the two choices while I went about the regular business of my day. I honestly don’t know what made me choose the aqua story, but as soon as I did, I also had the idea to try this fill-in-the-spaces-of-a-die-cut-background technique. I’ve seen it all over the place, but I’ve never tried it before. In another interval of spare time, I pulled out as many aqua embellishments as I could find in my stash.
I took an other few minutes while dinner was cooking to search my Silhouette library for a cut file I could use. I didn’t find anything that “spoke to me” there, so I broadened my search online. I found Juliana Michaels’ fantastic 17 Turtles blog and THIS hand-drawn circles file–for free! I loved how the circles mimicked the shape of the cake pops.
The layout was pretty straightforward to assemble after that. It took me a while to fill in the little circles, but it certainly wasn’t difficult! Since I have a Silhouette SD, and therefore my widest cutting capability is 8,” I sized the cut file for my mat and then sliced it into two pieces, hiding the split behind the vertical strip of photos. There is a whole lot of foam adhesive behind the die cut piece and the vertical strip of photos! To make the die cut piece stand out even more, I used a foam applicator to add some soft aqua ink on the white background paper.
Since the background is the highlight and is fairly busy, I didn’t end up using many embellishments at all, just a couple pieces of washi tape (Bella Blvd) and a punched tab attached with my Tiny Attacher. I was excited that I had an older set of aqua Thickers (American Crafts Dear Lizzy Merry Mermaid Foam Thickers) with all the appropriate letters for my title 🙂 A few aqua rhinestones, and my layout was complete.