Over the summer, Melissa Mora of Melly Sews/Blank Slate Patterns released a free t-shirt pattern. The day I downloaded it, I cut it out of an old t-shirt of Husband’s to check the fit and immediately decided that I needed to make myself at least one of them! A while later, I finally bought some jersey fabric. This Blanc tee is made from an aqua rayon/spandex (95%/5%) jersey knit that I purchased at Joann.
The pattern itself is incredibly straightfoward and if your fabric — and your sewing machine!!– cooperates, it is a very quick and satisfying sew. I had some trouble getting my cover stitch to work properly (in hindsight, I think I needed some fresh needles). While I absolutely love the way this fabric drapes and feels, it is not easy to sew, which added some challenge as well.
I’m learning how to attach a jersey binding, something I’ve somehow managed to avoid until now! This one is by no means perfect, but I do think it came out pretty well. I measured the perimeter of the neck hole and subtracted 2″ to determine the binding length. I pinned it at the shoulders and middle front and back (accounting for the deeper front, of course) and stretched it slightly as I attached it with my serger so that it lies flat when worn.
Stay tuned for a post in a couple weeks about my second Blanc t-shirt!