When we first started discussing the idea of having our family do a Tangled costume this year, it was obvious that V would be Rapunzel, but we debated who would play what other characters. I absolutely nixed the idea of being Mother Gothel, and after briefly considering Husband and I dressing as Pub Thugs, we eventually settled on my dressing as Maximus, the royal guard horse.
Instead of taking the costume too literally, we decided to stylize things a bit. A full horse suit would have been an overwhelming amount of work, and I was already overwhelmed by the amount of sewing for this year’s costumes as it was! First, we chose a medieval-style dress pattern and added a brown belt to call Maximus’ harness to mind, then topped things off with a stylized horse mask.
The dress is Simplicity 1773, view A, and I wanted a full lining, rather than just facings, since I was sewing it with plain white cotton– an old sheet, to be precise! To create the lining, I made a second dress, but without sleeves, and attached it at the neckline (as the facings would have been attached). I sewed the lining to the armholes with a machine stitch, and hand-stitched the zipper opening to the zipper tape in the back. The lining has a simple overlocked hem, and I did a single turn hem on the outer dress. I had the sheet and thread on hand, and the zipper and elastic were among sewing notions that I’ve been handed-down from people recently (thank you, thank you, thank you!), and so the only thing I had to purchase for this dress was the buttons. I didn’t want to spend much–there are nine on each cuff!!!– so I got super cheapo buttons at Walmart: a pack of 20 for $0.88.
Husband was in charge of the accessories, and honestly, I don’t know which one is the better show-stopper!
My horse-head is made from white posterboard (another thing we purchased for my costume). Husband found an amazing horse mask when he was searching for ideas, and we thought it was beautiful (and prohibitively expensive for our costume purposes!). As he looked at the pictures, he said to me, “I think I can recreate that!” And he did. (His spatial reasoning skills continue to amaze me).
To create the leather medallion that Maximus wears on the front of his harness, Husband turned to an excellent tutorial on the Epbot blog for making craft foam look like leather.* He used scraps of foam I had leftover from another project and traced Rapunzel’s kingdom’s sun emblem onto the medallion using a template and added the horse’s name, since he spotted it in a closeup in the movie. The only other thing we purchased for this costume was the gold wax to add the gilding effect. Of all the characters in our costume, I think I probably needed the most explanation, so it was nice to have such a stylish “nametag.” It slides onto the belt (from my closet) with a foam loop he adhered to the reverse of the medallion. After I fasten the buckle, the medallion slides over and covers it.
Stay tuned for Pascal and Flynn Rider!