Our almost-two-and-a-half-year-old son played the part of Pascal in our family costume this year!
We started with the basic jumpsuit in Simplicity 1765 in the smallest size published, but it was still over 10″ too long for our boy, since the pattern is really a “child” sized pattern, not a “toddler” sized pattern. We shortened the pattern and also took out quite a bit of bulk on the side seams. Since we were making a chameleon outfit and not a dinosaur, we lengthened the tail and changed its shape a bit. When the suit was assembled, Husband added some strong twisted wire into the stuffing of the tail, and we used that to curl it up.
I changed the feet on the pattern to be more like Pascal’s three toes, and instead of making mittens, which B would have hated for restricting his ability for holding onto things, I modified the feet to make something that is effectively a wristband with three big puffy toes that come out over the hands. The wristbands are held together with Velcro.
We hand-stitched the head and eye ridges onto the hood and added fabric eyeballs. To make the eyes, I cut two large circles out of white cotton (old sheet, of course!) and ran a long stitch around the perimeter. I added some polyfill inside and cinched the stitches. On the first one, I used a marking pen to determine the placement of the iris and pupil, removed the stuffing and flattened it again. Based on this marking, I used freezer paper templates to paint the iris/pupil onto the flat fabric circles, then cinched them up again with stuffing inside. At the very end, I added a little catchlight (the white dot) in each eye, and it absolutely amazed me how much of a difference it made– the eyes suddenly looked friendly, rather than staring.
The hood (as well as the hand-toe wristbands) is lined with some fabric from an old dress shirt of Husband’s. When I realize that there was a likelihood of the lining being visible, I knew I needed to use green fabric– and the only reasonable green I had in my stash was this shirt. Before I cut anything, though, I made sure that I could also transform the shirt into an apron! The hood lining was cut from the upper sleeves– it is amazing how much fabric goes into a sleeve!
Stay tuned for Flynn Rider!