Recipe: Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream from The Complete America’s Test Kitchen TV Show Cookbook 2001-2013, (page 655; affiliate link)
(I forgot to take a photo!)
- when did we make this? January 2017 to celebrate Husband’s birthday with his family
- did we change anything? The store was out of heavy cream, so instead of using milk + heavy cream, we substituted the appropriate amount of half-and-half. We also used vanilla extract rather than a vanilla bean (using a substitution on the bottle). Husband also made a double batch because we were sharing 🙂
- what did we like? Husband made this recipe, and he was extremely pleased with the consistency of the resulting hardened ice cream (other recipes we’ve tried have come out much harder). Husband and the kids really liked the flavor.
- what didn’t we like? I personally thought that it was a bit too sweet (and I usually like sweet things).
- will we make it again (any changes in the future)? From my perspective, I would probably choose another recipe. But Husband was so pleased with the consistency– perhaps we will try it again, and tweak the sugar content (or add other flavors?) to see if it improves the flavor to my taste.