Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Archive for the ‘Blank Slate Patterns’ Category

I was so excited to be selected as a pattern-tester for the Blank Slate Patterns’ new Barton shorts!  I’ve always wanted to be a pattern tester: I find the process of developing a pattern to be fascinating.

So in about a week, I made four different versions, and I had so much fun. Something about working under a deadline is exhilarating for me (as long as it’s not that way every day!) I find that I am more efficient with my time, and it is so satisfying. Even more satisfying was that this time around, I literally had everything on hand that I needed to make all four pairs!  Fabric, trim, elastic, thread.  No trips to the fabric store to break my momentum! Yippee!

In this post, I’m going to share my two final versions!  They were both actually made from extra fabric from other projects I’ve made.

These shorts are ridiculously comfortable, and in my opinion, they are super cute!  I love the lace-trim version (I was assigned the 3″ inseam, lace-trimmed variation for my testing– the pattern includes two inseam lengths–3″ and 5″, and both a hemmed and trimmed version!!).  I don’t usually wear elastic-waist shorts for everyday going-out, but these are not at all sloppy looking.  They look casual and trim, and I really love them!  And the best part of all– they are a very quick sew!!  The fabric selection took the longest (of course), and once I had that figured out, I estimate that I could make these in 2-3 hours per pair.

First up: my comic book shorts!  These are made with the Barton pattern pretty much as-is, but I did make a rise adjustment in the front so that they fit my body better.

2017_05_10_bartonshortscomicfull01-Edit

Do you recognize the fabric?  It’s extra from when I made my comic book dress!  I also used some vintage bias tape with a lace edge to trim the shorts.  The bias tape came from a large stash of trims that were my Grandma’s.

2017-05-09 15.51.36-Edit

2017_05_10_bartonshortscomicfront-Edit

2017_05_10_bartonshortscomicback03-Edit

Oh yeah, did I mention that there are pockets?!!

2017_05_10_bartonshortscomicside-Edit

For my next version, which is probably my favorite (so far), I used some excess lightweight denim from a strapless sheath I made a couple of summers ago.  As soon as I saw this in my scrap stash, I knew I had to turn it into these shorts… and I was just able to eke them out!  I made the waistband and the pockets from a blue batik (also from my stash), and I trimmed the shorts with some heart-shaped lace– also from my Grandma’s collection.

2017_05_10_bartonshortsdenimfull01-Edit

For this version, I also adjusted the front rise (the same as for the comic book shorts), and I also made these with a slightly decreased thigh circumference for a slimmer look.

2017_05_10_bartonshortsdenimfront-Edit

2017_05_10_bartonshortsdenimback-Edit

And pockets!!  The interior of the pockets is the same batik cotton as the waistband.

2017_05_10_bartonshortsdenimside02-Edit

 

These are seriously the perfect casual shorts.  SO easy to make– and I imagine that there will be more! 😉

Find the pattern at the Blank Slate Patterns website HERE!

Read Full Post »