Last but not least, possibly my very favorite of our costumes this year– Husband as Flynn Rider.
The main part of this costume is the vest Flynn wears, of course. I started with Simplicity 4059, view B and made some pretty significant modifications.
I found a woman who made a Flynn Rider costume beginning with the same pattern and blogged about it in 2011, and her documentation of the modifications she made to the vest pattern (she also started with Simplicity 4059) were extremely helpful, as were her detailed notes on the vest Flynn wears in the movies.
We chose a faux suede in a slate blue that I found on clearance+sale at JoAnn. I bought two yards and spent about $9 on it! I consider that a good deal. We pored over screenshots of Flynn’s vest and analyzed and studied it some more. I added some width and length to the pattern so that the front would overlap and the torso would be long enough for my tall Husband. I also “drafted” faux yoke pieces for the front and back and we marked out what seemed to be miles of topstitching lines. To give the vest the loft in its quilting, I padded the main torso section with a layer of flannel (an old sheet!) and the yoke sections with an additional double layer of flannel before doing the quilting. Husband drafted the collar (my brain was fried)
We collaborated to figure out how to recreate the hook closures. Husband bought a short length of brass chain at Home Depot and took apart the links– half of them were twisted to form hooks, and we left the other half of the links “whole.” We devised fabric mounts (for lack of a better word) that involved tiny buttonholes and fabric loops…I was glad to finish that portion of the vest!
Husband wore khaki pants and a white button-up shirt he already owned, but we wanted him to have the rakish adventuring boots that Flynn has–without having to buy much. Husband had the brilliant idea to turn an old pair of brown pants into a spat-like device that covered boots he already owned to give them to floppy fold-over top (they are also lined with pieces of yet another old sheet!). We used a swatch of pleather to make Flynn’s spats. I sewed elastic to the corners to make loops, and we added large brads from my scrapbook stash to look like the studs on Flynn’s. I didn’t have brass brads, so we used a yellow permanent marker to color some silver ones. I was amazed what a difference they made!
To top it all off, Husband grew a beard and shaved it to a goatee for Halloween weekend. Look at that smolder!