I’m pretty sure that the Rapunzel dress is my favorite. 🙂
After the craziness of the PhD ornaments in November and December, and the frenzied sewing to get Cinderella and Belle finished for Christmas, I was pretty worn out. But I kept thinking about the Rapunzel dress, and the inspiration for altering the dress pattern I’d been using (see below for details) just popped into my head. Once I had it in my head, I couldn’t do anything else until I’d sewn it. It took me about of week of “free” time to finish.
We gave this dress to Vivian as a surprise on the morning of the second day we spent in Magic Kingdom. She had worn all three of her other dresses already, and it was fun to see her reaction to a dress that she didn’t know that I’d made for her! It was especially fun because when we had been packing for the trip, she had told me that she wanted to bring her dress-up Rapunzel dress so that she could be Rapunzel at Disney World. I told her that we weren’t going to bring it, and she was disappointed. But I said, “You’ll see…there might be some more magic…” Little did she know at that time that there was a finished Rapunzel dress just waiting in the other room to be packed!
The first thing that we did when we got to the Magic Kingdom that day was to go and see Rapunzel.
About the construction of the dress:
Rapunzel is a modified view A of Simplicity 2463. I have to say, I am quite proud of my modifications. First, I made the center bodice front narrower (the lacing effect would have looked odd with it as wide as the original pattern). I added interfacing and stitched the ribbon “lacing” into place before assembling the bodice. I changed the upper bodice front: Instead of it being one piece (see the Cinderella dress for reference), I made it two pieces so that it comes down from the shoulders and meets the edges of the new center bodice front. This meant that the binding changed a bit (but it was actually easier to attach than on the Cinderella dress!).
The skirt is two layers. The under-layer has a contrast front panel and the rest of the panels are dark purple (glitter) satin. I made an over-layer that came around the front to meet the side seams of the center bodice panel. Using my embroidery machine, I machine-embroidered a design down the front of the skirt panels, ending with a corner design at the hem. (I would have liked to embroider the entire hem, but it took a long time to embroider, and it was pretty stressful to get it just right!)
I interfaced the flat sleeve pieces and topstitched rows of pink ribbon to create the stripes, then proceeded with the sleeve construction. Similarly to how I finished the Cinderella sleeve hems, I pleated the hem of these sleeves (rather than gather).
See all of the Project Princess Dress posts by clicking HERE.